Search
 

More From Region

 

Cities:

Al Aqsa Mosque

The  Al Aqsa Mosque’s golden lead dome can be seen from various observation points around the Old City of Jerusalem, marking the holiest spot for Muslims on the Temple Mount

On this Page:

The Al Aqsa Mosque was built by the Muslim Caliph Al-Walid 20 years after the erection of the Dome of the Rock, in the year 711, at the far side of the Temple Mount platform to identify the compound as the place from which Mohammed ascended to heaven. Al-Aqsa means the farthest point, and refers to Mohammed’s miraculous night flight on his winged horse, Al-Buraq, from Mecca to Jerusalem and back.

Over the past 1,300 years the building has undergone many alterations, including after parts of it collapsed during earthquakes and wars. In the 12th century the mosque was taken over by the Knights Templar, who used it as their main headquarters in Israel. They called it Templum Salomonis (Royal Palace of Solomon) and architectural elements from that period can still be seen on the façade of the building and its eastern side. Beneath the building, where King Herod built up the hillside, the Crusaders stabled their horses and called the site Solomon’s stables, even though there is no connection between them and the First Temple Period and King Solomon.

After Saladin took over the city in 1187, the mosque was returned to its original purpose and has been under Muslim control ever since. Today it is administered by the Waqf, the Muslim authority that manages the Muslim holy sites in Israel. The mosque’s lead dome can be seen from various observation points around the Old City, but only Muslims are allowed into the prayer hall.



 

Sites & Attractions

 
Monastery of the Order of the Sisters of Zion on Via Dolorosa in the Old City. Part of ...
System of underground tunnels constituting a continuous chain of history from the times...
Spring in Nakhal Refa'im, with adjoining Ein Yael Museum, an active museum that holds i...
Interactive museum designed to bring the world of science and technology closer to chil...
The Church of the Holy Sepulcher. According to Christian tradition, the Church of the H...
Catholic church of the Benedictine Fathers, built between the years 1900-1910. Accordin...
 

Accommodations

 
​Located in the center of New Jerusalem, within walking distance (10 minutes) to the Ol...
Rimonim Shalom Jerusalem is situated on the slopes of the Bayit Vegan neighborhood - cl...
Since 1964 Commodore Hotel is located on the road going up to Mt. of Olives in a perfec...
Sites