Search
 

 More From Region

 

Cities:

Emmaus

​The ruins of a twelfth-century church now mark the village of Emmaus, toward which two disciples were walking when Jesus appeared to them after the Resurrection

On this Page:

Emmaus

The ruins of a twelfth-century church now mark the village of Emmaus, toward which two disciples were walking when Jesus appeared to them after the Resurrection (Luke 24:13-28). Walking the road with Jesus has become a powerful symbol of Christian life, and Emmaus is an excellent place to ponder it.

The massive stones of the church, just off the Jerusalem-Tel Aviv highway, are a dramatic backdrop for prayer and reading the story, which continues with Jesus breaking bread with the disciples.

There is more than one "Emmaus" because of differing distances from Jerusalem given in various versions of Luke, but early Christian scholars believed it was here, overlooking the Valley of Ayalon (Josh. 10:12). The town, where archaeologists have unearthed interesting Roman and Byzantine remains, first became known for a great victory of the Jews over the Greeks in 165 BCE.

 

 Sites & Attractions

 
The Church of the Holy Sepulcher. According to Christian tradition, the Church of the H...
Catholic church of the Benedictine Fathers, built between the years 1900-1910. Accordin...
The Room of the Last Supper – The Coenaculum. According to Christian tradition, already...
Tourist bus starting at Central Bus Station and passing through 27 key attractions in t...
The Yemin Moshe neighborhood, named after the philanthropist Sir Moses Montefiore, is b...
An academic branch of Brigham Young University for Middle Eastern Studies, built at the...
 

 Accommodations

 
Renovated hotel in the heart of the city near tourist attractions and recreation sites....
Exceptional facilities, outstanding service and elegant accommodations characterize the...
A luxury hotel located a few minutes from the Old City. The hotel's Primavera gourmet r...
The Ambassador Hotel, built in 1952, is one of the first modern hotels in East Jerusale...
Christian Sites