Search
 

 More From Region

 

Shivta

Shivta began life as a caravan stop in the Negev for the Nabatean masters of the Incense Route, and flourished after Christianity came to the Negev in the fourth century.

On this Page:

The sun-baked remains of the ancient desert community of Shivta never cease to amaze visitors. Together with its sister-cities, Avdat and Mamshit, Shivta began life as a caravan stop in the Negev for the Nabatean masters of the Incense Route, and flourished after Christianity came to the Negev in the fourth century.

These three cities and the Incense Route have now been inscribed on the prestigious UNESCO list of W​orld Heritage Sites​. Shivta’s people were mainly farmers, producing a variety of crops by collecting every rare and precious drop of rain; their wine press can still be seen. Shivta had two churches; the magnificent Northern Church had marble covered-walls and displayed sacred relics that Christians came from far and wide to see. A large, cruciform baptismal font was also discovered, hewn entirely out of one rock, along with marble tombstones of clergy who served here. An 800-yard trail leads to a modern-day orchard north of the site, which utilizes ancient methods to raise carobs, figs, almonds, plums, olives, pomegranates, peaches, apricots and grapes. 

 

 Sites & Attractions

 
The Room of the Last Supper – The Coenaculum. According to Christian tradition, already...
A Catholic-Greek church built in 1877 in the heart of the market in Nazareth. According...
Revivim Observatory is one of the three lookout points established in the summer of 194...
​The Negev Museum of Art is located in the Old City of Be'er Sheva in a charming histor...
Together with its sister-cities, Avdat and Mamshit, Shivta, now a UNESCO World Heritage...
The Or Torah (Tunisian) Synagogue’s claim to fame is that it is literally covered in mo...
 

 Accommodations

 
Guesthouse located in a basalt building at the edge of the cliff containing accommodati...
​posite the views of the hills of the Galilee and the Golan Heights on the Korazim Vill...
The structure was built by the Scottish Church in 1894 as a hospital. In 1959, it was t...
 

 VideoSideVWP

 
 

 RelevantArticle

 
 

 Events In Area

 
 

 Untitled

 
Christian Sites