Search
 

 More From Region

 

House of Simon the Tanner

The best-known rooftop in Jaffa belongs to the House of Simon the Tanner, which is recognizable by the lighthouse installed in 1875.

On this Page:

The best-known rooftop in Jaffa – thanks to Peter’s famous vision – belongs to the House of Simon the Tanner (Acts 10:9-47). It is recognizable by the lighthouse, installed in 1875 to guide ships and fishing vessels past Jaffa's rocky shoals.

 

Members of the Armenian Christian Zakarian family, who still live in the house, were in charge of operating the lighthouse for generations. After many years of darkness, it once again illuminates Jaffa’s nights as part of the house’s restoration. In the old days, Mrs. Zakarian would welcome an endless stream of Christian visitor seeking to stand where Peter was praying when he saw his vision of the great sheet filled with unclean animals, which led him to convert the Roman centurion Cornelius in Caesarea.

 
The house and roof are now closed for renovation; however the Old Jaffa Tourism Association looks forward to its reopening. 

 

 

 

 Sites & Attractions

 
Tel Aviv-Jaffa Promenade This bustling promenade extends along the beach between Jaffa...
Seven Mills These old flour mills on the banks of the Yarkon River are located within ...
Old Cemetery in Tel Aviv on Trumpeldor Street A stroll through the approximately 5...
Jaffa Flea Market The Jaffa Flea Market is a great place for you to hone that quintess...
It was in this building, during the months preceding the establishment of the State of ...
The Church of the Holy Sepulcher. According to Christian tradition, the Church of the H...
 

 Accommodations

 
A boutique style hotel, located in the center of the business activities. Modern decora...
 

 VideoSideVWP

 
 

 RelevantArticle

 
 

 Events In Area

 
 

 Untitled

 
Christian Sites