Search
 

More From Region

 

Nebi Shu’eib’s Tomb

The tomb of Nebi Shu’eib, a central figure of the Druze faith, is mentioned by travelers going back to the 11th century though this complex was built in the 19th century.

On this Page:

Druze Star Nebi Shu’eib, a central figure of the Druze faith, is Jethro, who taught his son-in-law Moses the rules of justice and righteousness.

The complex, at the foot of the historic Horns of Hattin, was built in the 19th century, although the tomb is mentioned by travelers going back to the 11th century. The tomb-marker is housed in a third-story chamber built against the exposed limestone cliff, with a picture of departed Druze leader Sheikh Amin Tarif above it on the western wall, and a prayer niche in the southern wall. The small marker is covered with a satin cloth of green, the color associated with Nebi Shu’eib.
In front of the chamber is a spacious courtyard with a spectacular view of the Arbel Valley and the Sea of Galilee. From the railing flies the five-color Druze flag, symbolizing the five Druze prophets, along with the Israeli flag.

Much of the complex is devoted to hospitality; the annual celebration, or ziyara, at Nebi Shu’eib’s tomb, which draws Druze faithful by the thousands, takes place on April 25.
 

Sites & Attractions

 
Rabbi Isaac Luria (1534-1572), the Ari left his mark deeply on Safed and on Kabbalah th...
Museum presenting the history of shipping in the Mediterranean basin, Red Sea and Nile ...
Yoav Hot Springs Yoav Hot Springs, in the heart of pastoral rolling hills, offers a re...
A regional museum for nature, Israeli geography and archaeology. A range of exhibitions...
Yitzhak Ben-Zvi's Shack – Israel's second president, Yitzhak Ben-Zvi, lived in a shack ...
Hashomer Museum Kfar Giladi Here you’ll discover how the defense organization Hashomer...
 

Accommodations

 
​A new boutique hotel in the Haifa in the Hadar neighborhood in a Historic Bauhaus buil...
Guesthouse located in a basalt building at the edge of the cliff containing accommodati...
The structure was built by the Scottish Church in 1894 as a hospital. In 1959, it was t...
​On the winding road between Acco and Tzfat, between Kibbutz Farod and Moshav Amirim, r...
Druze