Latrun Monastery Winery
Domain de Latroun
The winery was established in 1895 and it produces approximately 300,000 bottles annually. The winery is carved out of a rock at the edge of the Trappist Monastery, and it is one of the oldest in Israel. The winery was founded by a group of monks from the Benedictine Order which espouses self-support by manual labor without reliance on outside factors. The vineyards planted near the monastery are worked by the monks. The passage from the monastery to the winery, through which the monks go to work, is via a long tunnel. The wine ferments inside enormous stone containers in the wine cellar. The vineyards stretch over 400 dunams, growing grapes of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Pinot Noir, Grenache, Gewurztraminer, Muscat, Alicante, Tokaji and other varieties. In addition, the monks grow olives for oil. The wines and oil can be purchased in the monastery store, but the winery itself is closed to visitors. The public can only visit the monastery guest house courtyard and the church.
Visits are to the winery store at the entrance to the monastery. The store is open to visitors: Summer, from 08:30 to 17:30. Winter, from 08:30 to 17:00.
How to get there:
The Latrun Monastery is close to the Latrun Junction, near to where Road 3 intersects with Road 1. Those coming from Tel Aviv and Jerusalem leave Road 1 at the Latrun Intersection and continue along Road 3 southwards to the traffic lights at the Latrun Junction. Turn left (eastwards) here to the monastery. Those coming from the south drive along Road 3 which you can turn onto at the Reem Junction or drive onto from Road 6. Continue past the Nachshon Junction to the Latrun Junction with traffic lights. Turn right (eastwards) here to the monastery. Tourist information is available on the Yoav-Yehuda tourism association website: www.touryoav.org.il